eg Blog

Award winning customer service

Following on from Rachel’s update last week, I wanted to share a good demonstration of the positive impact the implementation of operations management software and principles has on customer service, as can be seen in the case of one of eg’s award winning clients. eg was so impressed with the achievements of an internal customer […]

A case of good customer service

More and more pressure mounts on organisations to improve customer service.  But what constitutes good service if we all have different standards and ideals? Did you know that a typical business only hears from 4 percent of its dissatisfied customers? The other 96 percent quietly go away. Of this 96 percent, 68 percent never reveal […]

Welcome to the new eg blog

The eg blog has been launched to encourage discussion and debate between people interested in operations management, operational intelligence, performance management and related topics. We will also cover key issues we see affecting our clients, the financial services industry and customer service operations in general. As an operations management software company with over 20 years […]